About the HPO:
As one of Canada’s leading professional orchestras, the HPO has proudly contributed to the shaping of Hamilton’s cultural landscape and continues to uphold values of high calibre, inclusive and accessible orchestral music and education for all. For over a century, the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra has presented orchestral music and education programs with a mission to enrich the wellbeing of the greater Hamilton region through engaging orchestral experiences. Music Director Gemma New and the professional musicians of the HPO present dynamic orchestral performances ranging from standard classical repertoire to popular music and world premieres by living composers.
The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra cultivates a work environment that encourages fairness and respect among all employees. We are committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds may grow personally and professionally. We will not discriminate against an employee or applicant because of race, religion, gender, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or veteran status in hiring. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements.
HPO’s Development Manager is responsible for designing and executing strategies that support the revenue generation goals of the HPO. Working in collaboration with the Development Coordinator and Executive Director, the Development Manager will create and manage the annual fundraising plan, while successfully soliciting and cultivating financial support through sponsorships, grants and strategic partnerships.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Fundraising and Donor Relations
- Creating and implementing the Fundraising Plan to achieve annual and long-term revenue goals. This includes fundraising, donor, earned revenue and grant writing activities
- Writing grant applications and tracking grant revenue and affiliated programming
- Maintaining the grants calendar, ensuring timely submissions of applications in collaboration with other staff, including proposals and reports for foundations, government agencies and sponsors
- Working with marketing staff to ensure fundraising communications are implemented, including direct mail, email and social campaigns
- Overseeing development campaign tracking and reporting, producing regular progress reports
- Cultivating relationships with funders, corporations, donors and community partners
- Cultivating and stewarding new support from current and prospective corporate partners and donors
- Attending HPO performances and fundraising events
- Acting as an HPO representative at community events
- Tracking contacts and reports through the customer relationship management database
- Performing additional duties as required
- Completion of a relevant post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree program
- At least four years of development/fundraising experience
- Experience in grant and proposal writing
- Superb communications and presentation skills
- Team player – ability to work collaboratively with staff, community partners and supporters
- Knowledge and/or interest in orchestral music is considered an asset
- Knowledge of not-for-profit environment is considered an asset
- Experience in setting and meeting fundraising objectives and budgets, evaluating results and developing corrective strategies as needed
- Experience with a CRM database
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in and contribute to an integrated and collaborative team environment and to apply a positive team approach to working with colleagues
- Customer service-oriented, problem-solving attitude
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Application deadline: Application review begins immediately; applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Posted January 5, 2023